Friday, April 3, 2009

Never Eat Alone…The Importance of Networking

I am sure that you are being overwhelmed by the same message when it comes to networking. You hear it from your parents, your professors, the career center and definitely from me…networking, and the ability to do it effectively, is an integral part, not only of your job search but of the career exploration process. You will enter the workforce at a time of significant opportunity or challenge…depending upon how you look at the world. I am a notorious optimist with a dash of realism and a flare for the dramatic. I would argue that you all will have more opportunity than previous generations of college students…if…and only IF you expend the time, energy and effort to thoughtfully explore all of the options and opportunities available to you.

Many of you are probably saying, “I have a number of internships on my resume and they have helped me network, gain some professional skills and explore a couple of companies that I might be interested in working for.” In the same breath I will tell you 1) that is outstanding, keep exploring organizations and their cultures to determine what ones interest you from your first hand experience 2) that is just the tip of the iceberg. They say that only 30% of an iceberg is visible above water. My point is that you are just scratching the surface of your career exploration potential by participating in internships. Internships are a great start, but again, they are just that…a starting point. Read more on why I feel internships are only the tip of the iceberg in my upcoming blog on informational interviewing.

Based on the title of this blog, you are probably thinking…”Wow, this guy wants me to never grab a bite to eat and just be by myself.” In fact, Never Eat Alone is the title of a book by Keith Ferrazzi and Tahl Raz. Since I am not a book critic, I will leave the research on book reviews to you, but I highly encourage you to borrow, buy or rent this book. The idea of networking and its importance is timeless and based on the current state of the economy and the power of social marketing/networking (LinkedIn, Facebook etc.), the topic in and of itself is not earth shattering. I think what is profound and unique about this particular book’s take on networking is that its bedrock mantra is paying it forward.

Never Eat Alone stresses the importance of reaching out to people with the end goal being to try to find a way to help them. Networking does not always have to be about personal gain or about finding a job. Networking can and should be about connecting individuals who based on needs, aspirations, interests and passions should know one another.

I good friend of mine recommended this book to me and it fundamentally changed the way that I thought about networking and when and how it should be applied. There is an art and science to reaching out to people, sharing your goals and aspirations and truly listening to the other person to hear theirs. The next step is being truly thoughtful about trying to find a way to help that person achieve those goals. When you focus your energies and efforts on helping others achieve their goals, you will be amazed by the generosity and kindness that you receive in return. Suffice it to say…this book is a must read! It will not only help with career exploration but it may fundamentally change the way you tackle day to day challenges in life. As a matter of fact, I feel so strongly about it that I will keep a copy in my office for anyone who would like to read it. I will request only two things from the borrower: 1) that they return it (of course, so that others may benefit) 2) that they comment on the book once they have returned it.

I really hope that you will find the fundamental principles of this book as useful as I have.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn’t agree more, and great post. I graduated from Kogod in 2006 and have since been working. For anyone who still needs to be convinced the “real world” is very different and rather sobering compared to anything I experienced while completing my undergraduate work. Looking back over the last few of years I can confidently say that I was well prepared to enter the work world. More valuable than my various internship experiences were the mentors I met when I was in school. Their willingness to share their experiences and time allowed me the opportunity to develop a relationship with people who had years of experience and practical knowledge, and also the opportunity to develop what has turned out to be lasting friendships.

    I would certainly recommend reading Never Eat Alone. The book gives a human face to networking and focused on what Wim rightly pointed out as being the most important aspect of networking, paying it forward.

    ReplyDelete